Friday, February 03, 2017

World Cancer Day

Harue and me enjoying life
Talk about bad timing for World Cancer Day, or is it good timing...

A wonderful human being, Harue Marsden, passed away this week from breast cancer, and it has given me a chance to think about my own cancer experience 16 years ago. I was so fortunate to have symptoms for my ovarian and uterine cancer. So many women don't notice the signs until it's too late. It feels like stomach upset or indigestion. Or in my case like knives going through your intestines.

During the summer of my chemo, I had a lot of time to think about what helped me get through the experience. If you think cancer sucks, chemo sucks worse. I am a very positive person, but by the last round of chemo, I was pretty much done with it. Not fun at all.

I came up with a few principles that I think helped me, but the one that has stuck with me the most is - when you are diagnosed with cancer, tell as many people as possible, and let them love you.

When Noerena told me that Ray had been diagnosed with lung
cancer, I told her my first principle. They hadn't planned on telling anyone, but once they did, the outpouring of love was overwhelming. It was an honor to be Ray's friend the last two years of his life and to be present among a circle of friends supporting Noerena and Ray on the last day of his life. Noerena now has made her life work from the wisdom she gained while living through the experience.

Harue has been living this principle for the past few years as she chose to live with cancer. She did so many things on her bucket list as she worked to beat her diagnosis. She spent quality time with friends and family, and kept working in her job that she loved so much. That really is the way to live.







No comments: